Long-stay visas for students of majority age (over age 18) [fr]


If you are a Canadian student and are leaving to study in France as part of an inter-university exchange, please click here.

For all student visa applications, you must first go through the Service Culturel (not if you study in a secondary school). Please click here.


The long-stay visa, which constitutes a residency document, allows an extended stay in France for a period of more than 90 days.

If you want to stay less than 90 days, you must apply for a short stay visa.

Documents to be provided

Please provide both the original and the copy of the documents. All the documents must be submitted in the order below.

The visa section will give you back the original documents.

Document or photocopy missing = incomplete file = high risk of visa refusal.

  • 2 identification photos, in colour, recent (less than three months), original in 35 mm X 45 mm format with clear and uniform background. One photo must be affixed to the form;
  • Your original passport (and copy of your passport’s identification page). The passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the end of your stay in France. The visa is validated by a self-adhesive label that will be affixed to one of the pages of the passport;
  • Refugees : RefugeeTravel Document issued in accordance with the 1951 Geneva Convention;
    • Canadian residents with refugees status, even if they have a permanent resident card, must be in possession of this document and present themselves at the consulate at least one month before their travel date.
  • Non Canadian citizens : evidence of your regular status in Canada ;
    • a permanent resident card (photocopy must be recto-verso),
      • IMM 1000 not accepted.
    • or a study permit along with a valid Canadian visa (to ensure the return to Canada),
    • or a work permit along with a valid Canadian visa,
    • or a Canadian visitor’s visa if the holder prove residence over three consecutive months in Canada.
  • Last diploma obtained or academic certificate of the previous year and attestation which is sent from the cultural section of the french consulate which you depend on;
  • Letter of enrollment in a School / University in France, specifying exact dates of attendance and length of the studies;
  • Means of livelihood.

For students obtaining a bursary (from the French Government, or a foreign government which regularly provides student bursaries or from international organizations or also for beneficiaries of community programs) :

  • an attestation confirming the amount and duration of the bursary or an explanation outlining the benefits of a community program; no additional resource is required.

For other applicants :

  • any evidence of sufficient means of livelihood, corresponding to almost 100% of the basic monthly subsistence allowance provided by the French Government to foreign bursary students (approximately C$1,000 per month), for the entire first year or proof of an equivalent source of revenue.

Such resources can be proven by :

  • a bank confirmation that the total amount has been deposited in a French bank account or that it will be done subsequently,
  • a letter certifying a guarantee of reimbursement for an amount of 1,000$ by a surety in France or abroad, presented with the following documents :
    • photocopy of an ID document of the guarantor (CNI, passport, residency document for France);
    • evidence of his or her resources (3 latest pay slips, latest income tax assessment and last three banking statements).

Accommodation during at least the first three months of the stay :

  • In the case of a rented accommodation : lease contract;
  • If accommodation is provided by an individual : letter stating their full address and that you will be living with them during the whole length of the study period + copy of the french national identity card, copy of the "titre de séjour" for non French citizens + copy of a telephone or gas or electricity bill of the person you will be staying with in France;
  • If accommodation is in an establishment (or in an institution) or provided by an establishment (or an institution): attestation by the establishment or institution;
  • If accommodation is in a hotel: reservation and necessary resources to cover costs.

For the accompanying family :

  • marriage certificate of the spouse,
  • birth certificates for the children,
  • evidence of accommodation.

* Citizens from following countries must produce 2 long-stay application forms and 3 photos : Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaïdjan, Belorussia, Georgia, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kirghistan, Liban, Libya, Moldavia, Ouzbekistan, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Tadjikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraina.


The Consulate reserves the right to claim additional evidence. Access to work during the studies: You have the possibility of working according to your student status, within the 60% limit of the annual work term, namely 964 hours a year. The employer will forward a declaration of employment pertaining to the applicant to the Prefecture, at least 2 days prior to the beginning of his or her work contract.


Upon arrival in France, the person must immediately send the specific OFII form signed by the Consulate to the OFII territorial division that has jurisdiction in the Department where the person resides. The OFII will subsequently contact him or her for the compulsory medical and reception appointments. Fees for the issuance of the residency document must be paid on this occasion.

Job access after completion of studies

Upon completion of your studies, you may work with a “competencies and talents” residency permit or a permit bearing the notation salarié (salaried worker).

For the “Competencies and talents” permit, you must file an application with the Prefecture, describing a project (see Competencies and talents permit).
This permit is subject to selection criteria. It is issued for a renewable term of three years and allows immediate family unification.

For the “salaried worker” permit, you must file an application for change of status with the Prefecture. The issuance of a salaried worker residency document is only possible for certain trades.

Stay in France

This Type “D” visa allows the holder to travel in the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days per 6-month period without any other visa.

Fees and timeframes

Application fees (non-refundable): the value of€99 in Canadian currency for long-stay visa only, payable only by cash or debit card (with debit authorization if visa applications are send by mail) (American Express card are not accepted).

Please consult the following link regarding the Application Processing Time for your information : “Timeframes”.


You must schedule an appointment in order to submit your application on the Consulate’s website : "Rendez-vous" (in the "Prendre rendez-vous" tab).

Only those persons having their notification to attend will be admitted to the Consulate offices. For security reasons, please be on time;

Before attending, please make sure to bring all the documents indicated on the Consulate Web site required for the issuance of the requested visa.

You must provide all original documents, as well as one photocopy of each document.

To avoid penalizing other applicants, if you must cancel your appointment you are strongly requested to do so via the Consulate’s website : "Rendez-vous" (in the "Revoir son rendez-vous" tab).

Last modified on 29/06/2017

top of the page