Visa for a marriage to a French national (short-stay) [fr]
The foreign spouse must return to his or her country of residence after the marriage in order to file an application for a long-stay visa as the spouse of a French national.
Please provide both the original and the copy of the documents. All the documents must be submitted in the order below.
The visa section will give you back the original documents.
Document or photocopy missing = incomplete file = high risk of visa refusal.
You must provide all documents which are on this page.
And also :
- Supporting evidence of the reasons for the stay :
- certificate issued by the mayor of the place of marriage confirming the publication of banns and the absence of opposition;
- any element pertaining to the impending celebration of the marriage.
- Supporting evidence of the French nationality of the future French spouse :
- the French national identification card;
- or a French certificate of nationality;
- or exemplification of a decree of naturalization or of reintegration in the French nationality or a birth certificate which mentions the French nationality.
- Supporting evidence of the residence in France of the future French spouse or of the intention of the future French spouse to reside in France,
- supporting evidence of means of livelihood and accommodation (confirmation of accommodation by the town hall of the host’s residence in the case of private accommodation) during the validity of the visa (3 months).
The Consulate reserves the right to require additional supporting evidence. Filing the documents does not systematically guarantee issuance of a visa. You should not leave your present job, sell your property or commit yourself in any way before receiving your visa.
Application fees (non-refundable): the value of €60 in Canadian currency, payable only by debit card, cash or money orders (exact amount) payable to consulat de France à Montréal.
The timeframe for delivering a visa depends on your nationality, even if you are a permanent resident in Canada. Processing time for certain applications is approximately 15 days.
Please consult the following link regarding the Application Processing Time for your information : “Timeframes”.
Attention, you must schedule an appointment in order to submit your application on the Consulate’s website : "Rendez-vous" (in the "Prendre rendez-vous" tab).
Only those persons in possession of the notice to attend will be admitted to the Consulate offices. For security reasons, please be on time.
Before attending, please make sure to bring all the documents indicated on the Consulate Web site that are required to issue the requested visa.
You must submit all original documents, as well as one photocopy of each document.
To avoid penalizing other applicants, if you must cancel your appointment you are strongly requested to do so via the Consulate’s website : "Rendez-vous" (in the "Revoir son rendez-vous" tab).